Decision Support Systems in Urban Planning
- Thursday 21st September
- 14:00 - 16:30
- Sir Alwyn Williams Building, Level 5, Glasgow, G12 8QN GET DIRECTIONS
The Urban Big Data Centre will host a free training workshop on Thursday 21st September entitled ‘Decision Support Systems in Urban Planning’ presented by Dr Jan Kazak, Lecturer in the Department of Spatial Economy, Wrocław University of Environmental and Life Sciences.
Jan has been visiting the Urban Big Data Centre on a 4 week fellowship via the SASNet programme and is working with UBDC’s iMCD data on a short project to study aspects of land use, accessibility and neighbourhood attributes with a focus on lifestyles of elderly people.
The workshop will cover Decision Support Systems (DSS)’s use of principles, assumptions and limiting factors in forecasting the future in aspects of spatial planning. Two different tools would be presented: Metronamica (based on cellular automata) and CommunityViz (an extension for ArcGIS) in order to compare the different mechanisms of calculations that are used. Case studies of local decision support models will be presented which will include:
- A spatial policies assessment of the potential cumulative capacity of a large urban zone in Wrocław, Poland. Calculations covered housing, population, employment and other economic estimates.
- A masterplan for a district in San Sebastian (Spain) - indicator-based assessment of a local plan with a special focus on public transport planning
- Selecting optimal real estate for different people according to their needs (suitability analysis)
- Selecting optimal locations for a new development (suitability analysis)