Doing research on data uses, needs & capabilities with local authorities
- Tuesday 15 June 2021
- 14:00 - 15:00 (BST)
- Online (via Zoom) GET DIRECTIONS
Local authorities, already hit hard by a decade of austerity, are now facing a considerable challenge of managing economic and social recovery in a post-Covid world.
In this context, data intelligence, as well as the capability to access and use near real-time data and intelligence are seen by many as an important part of managing recovery and inform policy making at the local level. It is therefore timely and important, to examine the ways in which local government stakeholders use data to manage the crisis and the recovery, how they manage existing and arising data needs, as well as whether the crisis has reshaped data governance and/or generated new forms of data collaborations at the local level.
Drawing on an ongoing research project led by Dr Justine Gangneux and Professor Simon Joss of UBDC and in collaboration with the Digital Office for Scottish Local Government, this webinar will discuss and share learning on researching data uses, needs and capabilities with local authorities. It will be structured around four discussion points:
- Understanding the landscape of local government’s data uses and needs
- Mapping and defining data types and data capabilities
- Designing a mixed-methods approach (survey, FGs, interviews)
- Collaborating with key stakeholders
The format of this interactive session will be presentations followed by a question and answer discussion.
What you will learn
By the end of the event, participants will be able to:
- Describe the landscape of local authorities’ different areas of data engagement and the opportunities and challenges regarding data use in local government settings
- Design a mixed-methods project to identify and assess the existing and arising data uses, capabilities and needs of local authorities
- Explain the importance of collaborating with key stakeholders to inform policy and practice.
Who should attend
This webinar is for those working in/with local authorities, planners, students and researchers interested in data and local government.
Prior knowledge requirements
No specific data-related prior knowledge required. An understanding of local government in the UK would be beneficial.
Data and software requirements
No data or software is required to participate in this webinar.
Registration for this online event is free and available via Eventbrite. Full details and instructions for joining will be circulated post-registration.